The purpose of the program is to provide interested citizens with an insight into the operations of the Longmeadow Police Department, establish rapport with the police and learn about the functions of law enforcement in general. The Ride-Along Program is reserved for town residents who are 18 years of age or older who are in good standing. The program is under the supervision of our Community Resources Supervisor. It is the Longmeadow Police Department’s hope that you will find this experience both informative and enjoyable.
The following are the conditions and circumstances of the Longmeadow Police Ride-Along Program:
- Please wear conservative clothing suitable for the weather conditions and contacting the public. Clothing described as business casual is recommended.
- You will be assigned to ride with a patrol officer of this department. He/she will be assigned to his/her normal duties, and will respond to all calls for service to which he/she is dispatched.
- Police Officers can be and are often assigned duties which involve danger and/or serious risks. The officer with whom you are riding with is no different. He/she will not avoid or disregard duties which involve emergencies or danger simply because you are accompanying him/her.
- While every effort will be made to ensure your safety, the police officer’s first responsibility will be to carry out his/her assigned duties. When the patrol unit is assigned to a dangerous call, the rider may be dropped off at a safe location and he/she must remain there until the officer or another police unit returns to pick them up.
- You may not leave the police car or talk with victims, prisoners, suspects, witnesses or other persons contacted regarding police business without first obtaining permission from the officer.
- The police officer will be happy to discuss his/her duties and responsibilities insofar as time permits. If some emergency should arise, you must immediately and without question, comply with any orders or directions given to you by the police officer.
- Ride along tours usually last four (4) hours; however, either the officer or the rider may terminate the tour at any time. The shift supervisor shall be advised of early termination.
- Video recorders and cameras will not be permitted while participating in the program, unless express permission is granted by the Chief of Police.
- Absolutely NO firearm nor any other type of weapon shall be carried by the participant at any time during the ride along.
- The Program is reserved for Longmeadow residents who 18 years of age or older (a background check will be conducted prior to approval).
- Download the Release and Covenant Not To Sue (PDF) form.
- Print the document
- Fill out the form.
- Return it to the Longmeadow Police Department:
34 Williams Street
Longmeadow, MA 01106
- Submission of a Ride Along application does not guarantee Ride Along approval.